Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Wilma Flintstone Rides Again!


I think it's fascinating to see where we all get our inspiration. My favorite necklace that I've ever made is this one: I call it Wilma Meets Barbie. When I started, I just had this strand of gorgeous pink peruvian opal large faceted nuggets. They were really expensive! But Dennis at Beauty & The Beads will often make a deal with you if you buy a lot. What can I say? I can't resist! He only had three strands left, and I bought them all, along with a lot of other stones of course.

Sometimes pink peruvian opal has a bit of matrix mixed in and winds up looking kind of dirty, so the first thing I did was sort those out. I tried the remaining nuggets with just Thai silver cornerless cubes, but it didn't seem quite finished. So I put it away for a while and just thought about it. A couple of days later I was digging through my drawer full of Swarovski crystal and came across something else I hadn't been able to resist: a short strand of 12mm vintage crystal AB bicones. Yes, that's right - 12mm! They're huge and I love them! All of a sudden, I KNEW those peruvian opals and the vintage Swarovski HAD to go together. Go big or go home, right?

So this necklace inspired me in my latest treasury. I went wandering on Etsy to see what Wilma had inspired other jewelry artists to do. The variety is wonderful! Here's one of favorite pieces in the treasury. It's by Malodora and is called Stone Age Bracelet with Trilobites. It's just the kind of jewelry I love - bold and so THERE! When you wear this, you know you're wearing jewelry! It makes a strong statement. You can find the treasury, called Wilma Flintstone Rides Again, at http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=63882.

Don't forget also to sign up for my giveaway - check my May 30 post - for a pair of Maren's Birthday Earrings. They're so cute!

No comments: